Friday 19 December 2008

Mat's Illustrations

I've got some new digital art to share, courtesy of my friend Mat.

Mat asked me if I would draw some pictures for him to use on a website project that he is doing for his university course. Now, of course I said yes, Mat's an old and very good friend of mine. So, for some reason that I still don't know yet, I had to draw a disgruntled wizard, a reverent monk and the same monk doing a sideways jumping kick. All I know is that it's for a story. And a glorious story by the sound of it. Well, I thought I'd share the drawings I did for Mat here.

Here we have the disgruntled wizard. I asked Mat for some specifics, and he basically just said "Make it look a little like me, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration. And holding a staff with an orb. And put stuff on the robe." To which I replied, "Like cakes?" Mat liked that idea. When I think of Mat, I think first of someone strangling me. But then I think of cakes. So I put cakes on the robe, and on his hat, and there is a cake in the orb. That's a magical cake that has super powers and makes the orb glow with a healthy cakey light. Drawing a hand pinching the bridge of the nose is difficult.

Here is the monk, in all his reverent glory. When Mat requested the monks, I asked him what kind of monk he meant. He told me to go with what my artistic vision told me. I wanted to go for a Shaolin monk because they actually practise the Shaolin kung-fu martial art. But I also feel that an Eastern monk is the epitome of reverence, with meditation etc. So I thought the contrast would be bigger and funnier haha.

Here we have the monk sideways jump kicking. I kind of made this a lot more difficult for myself than it should have been really. I wanted to make the contrast between the two pictures really big, so I chose a more dramatic angle. Also being the most difficult angle. Ever. I think I did a moderately okay job on it, there are one or two issues but they're not that big thankfully. So here is my monk kickin' some ass.

Well, I hope I find out what they're for. If I do, I'll put it on my blog. Actually, if the website goes online I will link it in my blog so you can see how cool Mat is and be able to say "WOW I know who did those drawings" too.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment